Saturday, December 8, 2007

Following Icebergs

Earlier, I mentioned how apt I found the analogy of "Avoiding Icebergs."

Now, I have attempted to digest all that Michael Stephens has explicated in his "Into a new world of Librarianship." In all of his suggestions, which are creative and compelling, I find that his addition of the Library 2.0 meme "the Library is human" very meaningful to me.

After over two decades in the field, I find this a heartwarming aspect. So often, we need to create for the patron; a suggestion, small idea, example, encouragement, etc. Sometimes, this is all the patron needs to get an inspiration, or courage, to weather on with a tough academic assignment or difficult question.

The other suggestions Michael makes are very inspiring; we librarians obviously have our work cut out for us, and he is outlining for us the tools, attitudes, and creativity needed to continue to progress in our service to patrons and our own continuing education as library service providers.

No comments: